Published on April 27, 2022
5 Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
Did you know that the shoulder is one of the biggest and most complex joints in the human body?
While a traumatic event or injury is typically the culprit of sudden shoulder pain, there are many other causes that can lead to tension and mobility issues.
Here are a few of the most common issues we see in the practice.
1. Rotator cuff injuries. This type of problem doesn’t always come from sudden trauma. In fact, years of wear and tear can lead to eventual rotator cuff tears. They typically occur in the dominant arm and are more common as you age.
2. Bursitis. All over your body, you have thin, sac-like structures called bursae, which helps to keep soft tissues from rubbing against your bones. Sometimes, bursa can experience too much friction, which leads to inflammation and ultimately, pain.
3. Arthritis. This can occur in any joint in the body. When a person experiences shoulder pain without a known injury, it may be caused by osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
4. Frozen shoulder. Also known as adhesive capsulitis, this type of pain happens when the tissue surrounding the shoulder becomes tightened, which restricts movement and makes function difficult.
5. Spine problems. That pain you feel in your shoulder may not actually be caused by a problem in your shoulder. Herniated discs and misaligned spinal bones can cause pain to occur in the arms, hands, and even shoulder.
At our practice, we often work with patients struggling with shoulder pain through natural, gentle adjustments. If you’re interested in finding out more about how chiropractic care may help, contact us today.